This summer I bought a new laptop, a Dell Vostro 3460. First thing I did was install arch linux.
Nothing wrong with it except one little annoying thing: multitouch was not correctly detected and the synaptics driver was not correctly loaded.
Luckily via the Arch linux forums a solution was found.
I’ll quote the procedure:
- download latest alps source code from here (in case the page goes in 404 i have a stashed copy here)
- unpack it and substitute the “alps.c” with this one (stashed version here)
- copy the psmouse-alps-dst-0.x folder to your /usr/src directory
- (as root) dkms add psmouse/alps-dst-0.x
- (as root) dkms autoinstall
- (as root) rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse
and multitouch should start working out of the box! Have fun!
(Thanks to user “post-factum” for the solution)